Submitting Materials to ODR
Materials may be submitted via fax, U.S. mail, or hand delivery. In accordance with ASU security policies, standards and guidelines(link is external), ODR is unable to receive such documents via email.
Disability Disclosure Forms
Student Disability Disclosure Intake Form [Word, 106KB]
Student Disability Disclosure Intake Form [PDF, 109KB]
Request Process & Documentation Needs
Students accepted to the University who need accommodations due to a disability must complete the below process. Accommodations are provided only after the process has been completed in its entirety.
Individuals are encouraged to begin this process as early as possible to ensure the timely provision of accommodations . Once both disclosure form and appropriate documentation is received every effort will be made to determine eligibility and provide related accommodations within 15 business days of submission. To ensure academic accommodations can be utilized within the current semester, students should complete the requesting accommodation process a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the last day of classes.
Students returning to ASU after a withdrawal/extended absence who are requesting to reinstate previously approved accommmodations should complete a Disability Disclosure Intake Form. The ODR directors will review your requested accommodations on the disclosure form and your previously received documentation to determine continued eligibility.
- Student submits materials: Student must complete a Disability Disclosure Form and submit documentation meeting guidelines as instructed above.
Students requesting accommodations within University Housing (including service animals or emotional support animals) should also review ODR housing accommodations procedures for additional requirements.
- ODR sends receipt: Individuals will be sent a receipt email to their ASU email verifying what materials have been received and next steps.
- ODR determines eligibility and contacts student: Once ODR has received both the Disability Disclosure Form and appropriate documentation, ODR will review and make an eligibility determination then contact students with next steps.
- Implementation of approved accommodations: For most academic accommodations, individuals will be asked to schedule a meeting with ODR. During this meeting, an Accommodation Plan will be created which outlines approved accommodations. Relevant university resources to best support a student’s journey at Appalachian State University will also be discussed.
For non-academic accommodations (i.e., housing, food services, etc.) a meeting may not be required. Individuals will be provided any next steps in their email regarding eligibility and ODR will communicate approvals to relevant departments.
- Receiving accommodations: For academic accommodations, students must share their Accommodation Plan (via ODR online module) and have an interactive conversation each semester with instructors of courses they need to receive accommodations in.
For non-academic accommodations, often these accommodations must be applied for on an annual basis.
Students who need additional accommodations and/or changes in currently approved accommodations should complete the Additional Request for Accommodations Form within the Student Online Module. Supplemental documentation may be requested to support the additional accommodation request or if the request is related to a disability not already on file.