ODR will continue to review requests for Spring 2020 at this time. Due to the transition from in-person instruction to alternative course delivery methods, review of requests and determinations for Summer and Fall 2020 will be temporarily suspended.
Submitting Materials to ODR
In accordance with App State security policies, standards and guidelines, ODR is unable to receive such documents via email.
Materials may be submitted via:
- filelocker.appstate.edu (must use App State email address)
- U.S. mail
- or hand delivery.
If navigating a temporary impairment/injury see: Documenting a Temporary Impairment
In order to establish that an individual is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the following is generally needed:
- Disability Disclosure Form (to be completed by person requesting accommodations); and
- Current documentation meeting guidelines prepared by a professional relevant to the requested accommodations; and/or
- If applicable, documentation of historical use of accommodations.
Students needing accommodations should complete the below process. If returning after a withdrawal/extended absence complete a new Disability Disclosure Intake Form for review and an eligibility or additional documentation needs will be determined
- Student request and documentation: Student must complete a Disability Disclosure Intake Form (found below) and submit documentation meeting guidelines . Service Animal (defined by the ADA) only requests do not have to submit disability documentation unless specifically requested by ODR.
For accommodations within University Housing (including service animals or emotional support animals) additional requirements are outlined at ODR housing accommodations procedures.
- Materials received: ODR will send a receipt to App State email verifying what materials have been received and next steps.
- Eligibility: Once both the Disability Disclosure Intake Form and sufficient documentation has been received, an eligibility determination will be made and sent via App State email with next steps.
- Implementation: For most academic accommodations, a meeting is required to create an Accommodation Plan which outlines approved accommodations. Relevant university resources to best support a student’s journey at Appalachian State University will also be discussed. For non-academic accommodations which must be applied for annually (i.e., housing, food services, etc.) a meeting may not be required. ODR will communicate approvals to relevant departments.
- Using accommodation: For academic accommodations, students must request access for faculty to view their Accommodation Plan (via ODR online module) and have an interactive conversation each semester with instructors of courses they need to receive accommodations in.
Disability Disclosure Forms
Students who need additional accommodations and/or changes in currently approved accommodations should complete the Additional Request for Accommodations Form within the Student Online Module. Supplemental documentation may be requested to support the additional accommodation request or if the request is related to a disability not already on file.
Appalachian State University is committed to providing an institutional environment free from discriminiation and harassment to the Appalachian community, including students, faculty, staff and others who participate in University Programs, activities, or conduct business on behalf of the University.